Saturday, January 12, 2008

Prince Charming

Sun shining, green pastures passing by and my face an inch away from the car window with big eyes staring and mouth open. That was my usual position when in the car. I was always daydreaming. I still do all day long while washing dishes or picking up the boys my mind never stops wondering. From a little kid on I could day dream so well that I would make myself sad enough to cry. In elementary school I was usually day dreaming about prince charming. Sometimes my prince charming was a boy from school and sometimes he was a frog that I needed to catch and kiss. This particular day it was another slimy critter.
I was in the woods behind my elementary school with my brother Jeff. We were playing while mom graded papers and met with other teachers. That's when I spotted my prince charming. He was in the form of a slimy grey slug:) I had tried kissing toads and frogs but they never worked so I figured I should at least try kissing a slug. I picked him up with my fingers and watched him hug my finger. Jeff ran over to see what I had. I told him I was going to kiss it. He gave a disgusted look which was quickly replaced by a look of intrigue. Jeff watched as I brought the slug up to eye level. I inspected my prince looking for the perfect spot to kiss. "nope, no dry spots anywhere here goes..." I thought and then puckered up and touched my lips to the slug. Turns out my prince slug was just a slug. I quickly scraped slug off my finger and wiped my lips with my shirt a few times and wiped my fingers on my shorts. Well that was over and I would never kiss another slug again. Jeff and I decided to run up the dirt hill and then run down it as fast as our little legs would let us. After a few times of doing this I stubbed my big toe on a small tree stump. No big deal it didn't even hurt but we were tired so we climbed the hill to go back to the school building. Once I reached the top I said to Jeff, "Man my foot is all sweaty" I could feel my foot slipping around in my sandal and hear it squish. Jeff and I looked down at the same time and we both screamed. My right foot was covered in blood!! My sandal was filled with it. That's what I felt squishing between my toes and under my foot. I was frozen in that spot screaming. Once I saw the blood pumping out of my big toe the pain came rushing through my body. Jeff sprang into action and ran to get help. Then I saw "Him" running towards me concern and fear on his face. It was Ricky Taylor! I was in love with Ricky Taylor. He was Mrs.Taylor the sixth grade teacher's son. He was in the sixth grade and I was in first but that didn't matter to me. He was tall, athletic, artistic and he was nice to me and oh yeah...cute:) Ricky ran right up to me saw my bleeding foot and then wonders of all wonders he scooped me up into his arms and carried me across the parking lot to the school where he passed me off to my mom who had just gotten to the door. Mom carried me to the bathroom and sat me on the counter top. Teachers surrounded me as mom turned on the cold water and put my toe under the rushing water. It felt SOOOOOOOO good. Blood and dirt washed away and down the drain. Mom took my foot out of the water and I started balling again as the pain started to pound my toe. They wrapped my toe and off we went to the hospital where they gave me a butterfly cast.
I had to sit a lot and couldn't play kickball in PE but it wasn't so bad because I could day dream about Ricky Taylor coming to my rescue. I didn't get prince charming by kissing a slug that day but I did get a prince charming by stubbing my toe. To me the pain was worth years of reliving the moment Ricky Taylor scooped me up and carried me.

No comments:

Post a Comment