Saturday, January 12, 2008

My Husband, My Hero

My Husband My Hero
Have you ever had a "Flat tire day"? One of those days where you are just driving along. Maybe your singing a song or thinking of someone special then BANG!!! Your tire just exploded. Your car shifts and swerves as you wonder "Is this the end?" then you get a grip on yourself and your steering wheel and somehow end up on the shoulder of the road. Your such a mess from what could have happened and so you wait for someone to come rescue you. That's what kind of day I had this past winter.
It was a crisp winter day. I was in my last trimester and very uncomfortable but this day I was feeling upbeat and obviously I was out of my mind because I decided to go shopping with my two toddler boys after I dropped the oldest off at school. Our first stop Weis, it went GREAT so I thought "let's try this again." So off we went to Wally World (Wal-Mart). Once again the boys did great so we went to see the fish in the pet department also known as "Dead Fish Alley" Today however, even the fish were in plenty and seemed happy. As we were leaving I spied a really cool toothbrush that I thought my 1 1/2 year old would love. He really likes fish and this toothbrush had Nemo and Dorry on it so I had to get it for him. My son besides brushing his teeth aslo enjoys brushing the sink, floors, bed, toys, just about everything that is brushable which is just about everything, so you see I really needed that toothbrush. New toothbrush in hand (His Hand to be exact) we headed to the checkout where all went well. So well in fact that I decided I also needed a treat. Off to SafeWay for lunchmeat and Starbucks. By the way Starbucks was the treat for me, not the lunchmeat.
I put my youngest in his stroller with his new toothbrush still in the package and held the hand of my 4 year old. We strolled straight to the deli and ordered our meat where the nice lady gave the boys a FREE slice of cheese. "what a nice day" I thought. Off we went to the Starbucks. Get ready for the "BANG". I order my drink and as we were waiting I happened to notice the lack of a certain toothbrush in my childs hand. I checked his lap and all around his seat. No toothbrush. "Drats, it's probably on the floor someplace" I hoped. We retraced our steps and still no toothbrush. I walked out to the car (ok van) and put my stuff in so I could have my hands free and so I stood by my door and thought, " I could just leave and try to forget about the toothbrush, maybe send Nate out to buy the same one when he gets home, BUT DARN IT I JUST BOUGHT IT!" So I got up my nerve and pushed the boys back inside and up to the customer service desk. By now I'm sweating because I'm very pregnant and I'm getting annoyed. I tell the lady my problem and she was clueless about what to do. So I asked if I could go check the toothbrush isle to see if someone could have put it back. It looked as though that's what happened because there was one toothbrush that looked just like the one I bought at wal-mart. I bring it up to her and she calls someone else to come help. "Good Grief! just give me the darn thing" I'm thinking. Lady number two isn't nearly as nice and she won't budge on giving me the toothbrush. They call a girl who was putting stuff back on shelves that had been misplaced from the night before. No she did not find any toothbrushes on her journeys. So there we were the four of us looking at eachother and no one is offering me to just take the toothbrush. "I'm sorry" Says lady number two "I don't know what to do for you." No she was not sorry and she knew she wasn't going to do anything for me. So after 20 minutes of trying to get this toothbrush that I had paid for at another store I was leaving empty handed not quite sure how this just happened. after all it was just a toothbrush and I said I bought it from another store...I even had the reciept from wal-mart to prove it. By the time I sat in my seat I was very angry and so feeling helpless started to cry. Gosh I felt stupid crying over a toothbrush but it was mine and then I thought "They are going to sell the toothbrush that I paid money for to someone else and make a profit, How is that fair? plus they must have thought that I was trying to steal it." I actually thought about going back in and demand my toothbrush back but how crazy would I look dragging in my two little kids with my big belly all sweaty with tears running down my face bawling for my toothbrush back. I drove back home and calmed myself down. Nate called soon after to see how my day was going. I told myself not to cry because he was sure to laugh at me and think he married a crazy hormonal woman but as I was telling him I couldn't help it and so I snifed my way through the story. Surprisingly Nate was very sweet and soothing towards me and declared he would come to my rescue. Right when he hung up with me he called SafeWay and talked to the manager explaining what happened and just like that the manager said Nate could come pick up the toothbrush that night. My Husband My Hero went to the store after his long day at work and walked in our house with our toothbrush. I felt so much better and I also realized something. I had underestimated my husband. when I thought he would laugh and tease me he did the opposite. He was sweet and thoughtful and said he liked coming to my rescue. Who knew a childrens toothbrush could have brought Nate and I a little closer together? What a crazy good day it was. Nate had come to fix my tire and it was all ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment