Saturday, January 12, 2008

Crouch of Shame

OK so after I write this blog don't think badly of me ok? this is a confession of sorts. It goes along the lines of my last blog about Blockbuster and avoiding potentially embarrassing moments.
Once again I had a case of "just say no" issues. There was this guy let's call him Sam. Sam was among my friends from church. Sam was a guy. Same started to come to my work while I was working. Sam started coming in a couple days in a row. It actually got to the point where my boss was giving me looks. So I told Sam that I might get in trouble if he keeps coming in because I had work to do. Sam didn't get the clue. Instead of leaving he says he can help. He started putting video's back on the shelves for me. Can you see how I would feel annoyed and SMOTHERED?! It was clear that I had a problem on my hands and I had to do something. I had my chance the very next day because as I was standing in the front of the store I saw him crossing the road to come into the store. My first thought was "$*@" (normally I don't curse but I was panicked) In the blink of an eye I pulled my managers chair out from his desk and crawled underneath). So there I was crouched in the fetal position on the floor with my manager looking at me like I had lost it. I quickly said to my manager, "It's him, he's coming in. Tell him I'm eating lunch in the back." As soon as the words were out of my mouth the bell on the door jingled and in walks Sam. I heard him come up to the counter just four feet away from me and ask,"Is Suzie here?" My manager tells him I'm eating lunch in the back and then...silence. I had no idea what he was thinking but I was praying he didn't see me dive under the desk on his way over. I heard him mumble something and walk out. It didn't sound good. It sounded like he knew something was up. For a brief second I thought about popping out and laughing it off as a joke but what could I possibly say to explain why I was under a desk and not eating my lunch in the back room. So I let him walk out and I didn't come out until my manager watched Sam drive away. Silly me. Sam never talked to me again after that. I think Sam knew I was hiding...maybe he saw my rear sticking out on his way out the door. I still feel a little bit of shame when I think of that but then again it also makes me laugh. I mean the lengths I would go to just to avoid awkwardness. In my attempt to keep him and I from being embarrassed I obviously only made matters worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment