Saturday, January 12, 2008

My Salvation

No story has more meaning to an individual than their "Jesus story". So here is my crystal clear memory of when I asked Jesus into my heart in the summer of '84.
Nanny wasn't feeling good and hadn't been feeling good for a while so our family made the four hour drive to Pennsylvania. All Jeff and I knew was that Nanny was sick. We didn't know that she had cancer and was dieing. It was a beautiful day. We pulled into the hospital parking lot around noon and dad parked the car under some trees for shade. Dad got out of the car and walked into the hospital while we waited in the car. Mom told us that children weren't allowed in to see Nanny so we waited quietly in the back seat. I remember looking at the hospital dotted with windows and wondered which one Nanny was behind and I started wondering how sick she really was. I asked my mom if Nanny would be okay and she told me that Nanny was going to die. I asked "Is Nanny going to heaven?" Mom said, "Yes." I thought a second and then said, "I want to go to heaven too and be with Nanny." I had been raised knowing God and so to know that Nanny was going to heaven and not "that other place" satisfied me and made Nanny's passing easier. She was going to be well again and see Jesus and she would be there waiting for us. So there I was in the backseat with Jeff and Becky on either side and Mom turned in the front seat looking at me. Mom asked,"Would you like to ask Jesus into your heart?" I shyly said, "Yes." Mom had me tell her the salvation story to make sure I knew what Jesus did for us and what that meant. I told her that, "God sent Jesus to earth to die for our sins on the cross so that we could go to heaven to be with Him and that he rose again on the third day and went to heaven." We assumed our prayer positions of folded hands with head down...I made sure Jeff had his eyes closed too. This was a special moment and I didn't want Jeff interrupting it:)
I repeated these words after my mother, "Dear Jesus, I believe that you died on the cross for my sins and rose from the grave on the third day. Please forgive my sins Lord. I ask you into my heart Lord. I love You, Amen." The Lord filled my heart that day. I knew it. As one life was ending and going to be with the Lord mine was beginning. Can you believe that is all God asks of us? To believe in Him and then say a prayer asking Him into our heart. He didn't give us a list of things to do. It was so simple and true that even as a kid I got it. I understood Jesus, I knew that He loved me. Thank you Lord for loving even me. Thank you Lord for saving me. I LOVE YOU LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment