Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Now it's clean, now it's not

For years I have somehow managed to keep my house clean most of the time but now that my fourth has reached the age of climbing and wanting (wants me, wants food, wants drink, wants outside, wants, wants, wants) which comes with lots of screaming when his climbing is interrupted or his wants not met, I have come to see that my house is never all clean all the time. But what is worse is a smelly house. Lately I've been loosing my battle with the stink and here is an example of why.
Just the other day I was cleaning the first floor of my house when I sent Josh upstairs to use the bathroom (which only smells good for the first 2min after I clean it) It wasn't long after that I heard some strange noises. I dropped what I was doing and ran up the stairs to see Josh holding the toilet lid up with one hand and about to reach in the toilet with the other. He gave me that, "uh oh" look as I peered into the watery bowl. There happily floating in the water was a dirty diaper and a band aid and sunk underneath that and peeking out of the hole at the bottom was something blue and plastic. For two days prior to this Josh had been flushing race cars which Nate dove in after and retrieved using a plastic grocery bag as protection from the poop infested waters. Apparently it's no fun to put cars in a clean bowl...maybe Josh wanted his cars to race his poop???
So, because of that I thought it was a race car. I followed Nates example and put a grocery bag around my hand and picked out the diaper and band-aid, then came the more tricky part. I tried to pinch the blue thing with my fingers but it floated further into the hole, "Dang it!" then I saw it...some thin dirty floaters coming out of the hole..."Retreat, retreat!!!" I yanked my hand out of the toilet and the bag, noticing my hand had gotten wet...Naaaaaaasty. I searched the hall closet for my cleaning gloves (wish I had thought of that in the first place) but I couldn't find them so instead used a thin glove found underneath some cleaning products under the kitchen sink. It was thin and gross looking but it would have to do. I stretched it on and went back to the toilet. I had to plunge the toy back down along with the floaties :( I saw the blue so I pulled the glove as far as it would go on my arm and carefully pinched the toy with my fingers. This time it came out right away. My prize was a plastic transformer toy from a Happy meal. Into the trash it went along with the glove. I flushed the toilet and heard a rattling in the pipes and then a gurgle from the bowl. I had missed a toy in there and now there was no more water. :( Can't say I didn't try. Thank heavens for the basement bathroom. I gave up on the toilet and decided to leave it for Nate to fix.
Now fast-forward to when Nate gets home. I told him about the toilet upstairs and then called Josh (who was in the basement) up stairs to come see Daddy. Josh came up and we all did what we do when Daddy comes home. Kids hang on Nate while I retreat to the kitchen to cook or at least pretend to cook just to get some time away from kids hanging on me or asking for something. Several minutes later I send Uriah downstairs to make sure everything is closed up and locked. Uriah let out a scream and that’s when he found out Josh had brought in the hose which caused a minor flood. Nate cleaned up the flood and the next day the basement toilet was broken (don’t ask me why cuz I stopped caring) Now Nate’s priority was to fix the upstairs bathroom. He plunged some more sending the unknown toy further down the pipes and hopefully into the cesspit under the ground where it won’t be able to do any more harm.
It’s always something here, and I’m fine with that…really I am…it’s just the way it is…but sometimes I do get frustrated and then I think about all the fun we have when I’m not cleaning pee off the bathroom floor or fishing toys out of the toilet and think of the fun we’ll have again and it’s not so bad (most of the time). J

1 comment: