Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer time aches and pains

The heat can make people do all sorts of crazy things right? Like going out in public in too little clothing, paying $3 for 1 popsicle off the "ice cream truck", or even taking a turn on the slip-n-slide as a grown adult. I haven't gone out in public with too little clothing yet...that's this weekend, however I have paid an arm and a leg for ice cream (which is going to make swimming tricky) and I went down the slip-n-slide last weekend.
Saturday morning was HOT and the kids were bursting at the screen door seems. So after Nate mowed the lawn we filled the kiddie pool and hooked up the slip-n-slide. I stood by and watched the boys run onto the plastic and then "slide". Needless to say that was dangerous and not really getting them anywhere. So I just HAD to show them how it was to be done. So I told them to, "Watch out boys! It's Mama's turn. Watch-n-Learn" I stood a few steps back and aimed straight ahead. Eye's trained on my destination (the pool of water at the end) I took off at a fast step and dove, arms straight out. My form was perfect (for a belly flop) unfortunately my body didn't agree. When landing my ribs and all other bodily organs shouted out in agony. I don't know if it was the cold water Nate was spraying on me from the hose or my pride, but I refused to listen to Nate when he said, "Suzie, that sounded really loud." a touch of warning was in his voice, but I took it as, "Suzie you're too heavy for that." So I just had to do it again and again and again and (just one more time) again. After the first plop the others went by with a breeze and I was having fun.
Fast forward to Sunday morning when the sun was up and I rolled over in bed. I was smacked with pain across my abdomen, when I sat up it felt like I had been doing sit ups all night long. I stumbled down stairs and headed past my bright eyed and bushy tailed kids and husband on towards the coffee pot. After starting the heavenly brew I shuffled to Nate and told him my woes. He didn't hesitate when he said, "It was that dive you did on the Slip-n-Slide! I told you it was loud!" Ugh...he was right. I did absolutely nothing else that would have come close to breaking ribs. For the next three days I took it easy and steered clear of the Slip-n-Slide.
Age has truly robbed me of one pretty cool summer time water activity. sigh. Let this be a warning to any other almost 30 and above person who may be reading this. The next time I go down a slip-n-slide I'll be in a seated position with my children pulling me down by my feet....or not.

1 comment:

  1. "Age has truly robbed me of one pretty cool summer time water activity."

    "Suzie you're too heavy for that."

    Puh-lease!!

    ReplyDelete